Manuka Honey is one of nature’s most potent and revitalizing compounds for the skin. It is produced when bees gather the nectar from the flowers of the Manuka bush, also known as Tea Tree. lt has a distinct flavor, is darker and richer in taste than other honeys.
Oceanic Gold sources its Manuka Honey exclusively from New Zealand.
Manuka Honey is an “active” honey, and is measured by its activeness. An activity level determines the total amount of antibacterial activity and is measured from level 5+ upwards. The higher the rating, the more potent and expensive it is.
Oceanic Gold uses Manuka Honey in its purest form that is certified at Bio Active 20+ in all its skin care products. Our research has shown that this activity level is the optimal activity level to use for healthy skin.
The Ancient Greeks called Honey the “nectar of the Gods”.
The topical application of honey was a common practice for several centuries
and goes back as far as the 14th century
Why Bio Active 20+ Manuka Honey?
Manuka Honey has the power to support your skin's health, and provides a substantial amount of vitamins, minerals, beta-carotene and antioxidants. Manuka Honey is naturally hygroscopic as it draws moisture into the skin and absorbs and retains water from the air. This aids in keeping your skin moisturized. It also acts as an exfoliant and sloughs away dead skin cells, helping to lighten blemishes and dark spots over time.
Manuka Honey is unique to New Zealand, and its key component is that it has antibacterial qualities. Filled with a substance called Methylglyoxal, the super powerful Manuka Honey contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antiviral, antiseptic and healing properties with a nourishing and hydrating element.
Oceanic Gold Manuka Honey Skin Care takes advantage of this powerful, natural product by using it as one of its core ingredients along with ocean minerals, Australian native plant and flower extracts, producing a perfectly balanced range of products that is focused on delivering results to your skin each and every time.
Over the years, research from various parts of the world has found that Manuka Honey moisturizer is:
- Anti microbial - The low pH level of honey and its high sugar content (high osmolarity) hinders the growth of microbes. The pH value of MH is between 3.2 and 4.5. This can inhibit the growth of most microorganisms.
- Contains a substantial amount of vitamins, minerals, beta-carotene and antioxidants. It also contains high levels of amino acids, vitamins B, and minerals such as calcium, copper, iron, potassium, sodium, and zinc
- Manuka Honey is hygroscopic, which means that it can draw moisture out of the environment and dehydrate bacteria, and its high sugar content and low level pH can also prevent the microbes from growth.
- It’s also a natural moisturizer that improves skin hydration because it’s able to absorb moisture directly from the air and draw it into the skin.
- Manuka Honey contains flavonoids, phenolic acids, and other enzymes. All of these active components work together to provide a synergistic anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect. Flavonoids are known for their anti-inflammatory activity.